THE STRATEGIC BENEFITS AND RISKS ASSOCIATED
THE STRATEGIC BENEFITS AND RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH OUTSOURCING.
Outsourcing is the procedure of undertaking out cardinal company maps such as concern procedures, fabrication, and IT to external companies that are more specialized and skilled in covering with those peculiar maps. Today this is happening on both a national and planetary graduated table. This procedure of outsourcing allows companies to concentrate on their nucleus competences and is a displacement in concern thought from the yesteryear, where variegation and perpendicular integrating were seen as cardinal to concern success. In fact there is a turning statement that even certain nucleus maps can be outsourced. ( Fuerst, Oren, 1999 )
Outsourcing is a cardinal mechanism by which endeavors manage costs and long term concern aims. However as with any benefit there are legion hazards that accompany the procedure of outsourcing. The whole procedure of outsourcing demands to be carefully understood and managed to guarantee that the cost/benefit is less than the cost of maintaining the maps in house. This paper looks at these issues from the point of view of the normally outsourced map of Information Systems but the treatment can be applied to any industry.
THE STRATEGIC BENEFITS AND RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH OUTSOURCING
The involvement in IS outsourcing is mostly a effect of a displacement in concern scheme and thought. The normally held position in the concern universe is that the best manner to maintian competitory advantage is to concentrate on what an organisation does better than anyone else while outsourcing the remainder ( Salvetti & A ; Shell,1996 ) . For illustration in many big endeavors the IS map although indispensable to concern success is seen as a non-core activity that can be outsourced. It is a normally held position that IT vendors possess economic systems of graduated table and proficient expertness to supply IS services more expeditiously than internal IS sections. Another major driver buttocks IS outsourcing in peculiar is that the future way, growing and value delivered by IS systems is non clear ( Lacity & A ; Willcocks, 2001 ) . Therefore many companies view IS as an indispensable operating expense that needs to be minimised.
In today’s composite concern environment, the usage of external services/products can be cardinal in accomplishing high degrees of operational public presentation and commercial flexibleness. It can besides supply entree to specific accomplishments and experience that is non available in-house.
Service bringing theoretical accounts are now more mature and this coupled with maturating planetary communicating substructures such as VPN’s has allowed outsourcing to go location independent.This has besides reduced the demand for company specific information Centres.
Type of Outsourcing
There are four cardinal parametric quantities that determine the sort of outsourcing agreement that a house may come in into ( Lacity and Hirschheim et Al, 1995 )
- 1Degree– sum, selective, and none
- 2Manner-single vendor/client or multiple vendors/clients )
- 3Ownership– wholly owned by the company, partly owned, externally owned
- 4Time frame– short term or long term
The combination of specific cases of these parametric quantities outputs different types of sourcing agreements such as joint ventures, installations sharing, by-product, etc.
The Benefits of Outsourcing
Outsourcing has a figure of benefits common to all industries. These are discussed in greater item in this subdivision ( Domberger 1998 )
Specialization-All organisations have nucleus competences and others which are non so cardinal. Outsourcing the non-core maps will go forth the maps in which the organisation specializes and leads to heighten endeavor functionality and efficiency, e.g. Ford produces autos but the tyre fabrication is now outsourced to a Sur makers Firestone. IT is another map that could be outsourced to let Ford to concentrate on Motor Manufacture. This specialisation leads to economic benefits as by concentrating on activities in which an organisation is competent and comparatively more efficient, entire value added is maximized. It besides facilitates cost decrease through the development of graduated table of economic systems. It is now considered the most of import ground to outsource maps.
Market discipline-This creates a status in which the buyer is separated from the supplier and a concern dealing takes topographic point under contract. Market subject provides a scope of benefits, viz. , focal point by the buyer on end products non inputs, competition ( contestability ) between providers, picks by buyers, and advanced work patterns.
Flexibility-The ability to set the graduated table and range of production upwards or downwards at low cost and rapid rate. Networks of little organisations linked to their clients via contract can set more rapidly and at lower cost to altering demand conditions compared to integrated organisations.
Cost savings-The resource costs associated with outsourcing have been shown to be to the order of 20 % than the tantamount in-house production cost. Once this was the most of import factor in Outsourcing determinations
Quality– The additions in efficiency and cost do non take to lower quality, in fact if the demands have been defined right is really better in many instances.
For IS development and operations undertakings, outsourcing besides provides
- Improved clip to market as the seller will hold all the needed accomplishments and there will be fewer issues with staff turnover.
- Reduced hazard of proficient obsolence as the seller will be competent in all the needed countries and have experience in the latest engineering
- Hazard transportation to the seller if their undertaking overruns or there are support issues.
Hazard and Critical Success Factors of Outsourcing
In any concern, complex alterations create hazard, and this is particularly so in the country of outsourcing. The cardinal countries in which hazard is increased for a company when outsourcing are deficiency of control and visibleness, cost overproductions due to miss of apprehension and deficiency of flexibleness.
Therefore when outsourcing there are some cardinal and critical factors for success that need to be considered to cut down the associated hazards.
1Clear Understanding of Requirements and Aims– Companies must be clear on their corporate vision/strategy and formulate aims that will acquire them at that place. The range of the undertaking and degree of alteration must besides be clear as this will basically find the sort of outsourcing understanding required and besides the seller chosen. If for illustration an administration wants to outsource its IT section, there are many sellers that could run into this demand. However far fewer would be able to execute state concern transmutation. Both long term and short term demands need to be considered when come ining into an outsourcing understanding of any length.
For IS systems if a cardinal operational service is outsourced in the absence of a clear apprehension of the operational scheme, robust procedures and a clear way to accomplish concern benefits, the service provided is improbable to run into the organisation’s demands. Before passing over a map to a chosen seller it is indispensable to work with them so they know what is wanted and that both parties are clear on outlooks.
2Cost benefit Analysis-It is good practise to cipher the cost of retaining concern maps in-house and comparing them to the cost of outsourcing. From this a cost benefit analysis can be performed and Return on Investment ( ROI ) calculated.
3Handiness of competentresources andprocedures– Failure to implement robust procedures and an appropriate direction construction to pull off providers can ensue in a dearly-won legal difference ( Hirschheim & A ; Lacity, 2000 ) . Failure to efficaciously pull off hazard and public presentation throughout the supply concatenation can ensue in complete failure of an outsourcing undertaking. To extenuate the hazard, a direction squad should be put in topographic point, developing incorporate direction processes with the seller ( s ) . This will besides let the edifice of a common linguistic communication, and an environment in which common benefit can be fostered and struggles mediated
4Cooperation with vendor/Partner– In the early yearss of outsourcing where the key driver was cost film editing and cut downing head count, the seller chosen was non considered to be a important component. However for success in today’s complex concern environment and to carry through the more complex outsourcing demands it is important to take a provider that is able to run into a company’s vision and make solutions that enable a clients concern to run better. Today it is common for clients to seek the advice of outsourcing spouses for the best solution.
5Proper planning and SLA benchmarking– Establishing cardinal public presentation steps that support the organisation’s scheme is critical if the services are outsourced since the provider will equilibrate cost to be expended against the demand to accomplish these steps. A cost benefit analysis should be carried out on a regular basis to guarantee that the benefits of outsourcing are still attractive. A flexible pricing theoretical account should be incorporated into the outsourcing understanding to cover Service Level Agreements ( SLA’s ) as future demands can alter. A few old ages into any contract and, concern drivers can alter for both parties. It ‘s best to hold an understanding where it is possible to realine outlooks and benefits on an one-year footing. This included benchmarking public presentation, mensurating client satisfaction and revising service degree understandings.
Models, theories and attacks to Outsourcing
The Benefits and hazards discussed supra give an overview of the grounds to outsource and the jobs associated with it. In the academic infinite, there has been and is ongoing research in the country of outsourcing peculiarly IS maps and there is a immense volume of literature on the topic. This research can be categorized as being focused on 5 major outsourcing issues:
- Why outsource– The bulk of research work in the country of why companies outsource draws attending to the economic and managerial constructs and factors which influence outsourcing. Besides this work is concentrated to sing an organisation as a whole and non at the single degree. This research points to be as the primary ground for outsourcing. However in more recent work the focal point of research appears to be switching to consideration of other factors such as scheme and the hazards involved.
- What to Outsource– IS systems are complex and interconnected at all degrees of an organisation. Therefore if outsourcing merely certain parts careful analysis demands to be carried out to guarantee that there are no mutualities. A defect of the research is that it does non show a common model for make up one’s minding what to outsource. Again the research by and large focuses at the organisation degree and non the single undertaking or work degree.
- Which Process to Outsource– This is basically the determination devising procedure behind make up one’s minding what to outsource. The research stuff shows that there is a clear spread in the determination doing procedure between faculty members and what happens in practise within companies. There is besides a deficiency of research with respects to stakeholder engagement in the determination procedure.
- How ( Implementation ) –This stage of outsourcing a undertaking comprises 3 of three chief maps, Vendor Selection, Build + Structure a relationship, Manage the Relationship. The how is closely linked to the Outcome ( described below ) . The research stuff in this country emphasises the importance of the vendor/client relationship to the success of outsourcing. However the specific procedures of physique, structuring and pull offing a relationship are non clearly defined and more research needs to be conducted in this country.
- Result– The result desired from outsourcing is that of success. The research stuff describes, the undermentioned factors as cardinal to a successful result
- Good Customer Relationships
- Management of Contractual issues and Vendor
- End user position
- Quality of determination devising in make up one’s minding the outsourcing map i.e. what to outsource, which seller
The research besides highlights the fact that puting unrealistic ends and outlooks or establishing the ground to outsource on cost entirely can take to failure of the undertaking. i.e. Neglecting stakeholders. A defect of the research is that it does non jointly see all the factors crucial for outsourcing success.
The academic research in the outsourcing infinite is rather diverse, utilizing a figure of theories and methods and using them to the cardinal issues. There has been important work carried by using the undermentioned theories –
- Transaction Cost Theory- Comparison of Transaction and Production costs ( Williamson,1981 )
- Agency Theory – the being of different perceptual experiences of hazard between chief and agent every bit good as uncertainness ( Jensen, Meckling, 1976 )
- Strategic Management Theory – Theories which explain the activates of a house to run into aims ( Quinn,1980 ) , ( Porter, ( 1985 )
Empirical and non-empirical research attack methods have been applied in the research literature which can be divided into the undermentioned types
- Empirical– Research through aggregation and survey of informations through surveies, studies etc
- Positivist – usage of hypotheses which can be tested and proved or disproved utilizing observation or experiment ( Burrell and Morgan,1979 )
- Descriptive – Objective factual descriptions i.e. instance surveies ( Orlikowski & A ; Baroudi, 1991 )
- Interpretative – Surveies that exhibit empirical features, but with emergent penetrations i.e. acquiring near to a topic and researching its elaborate background and life-history ( Burrell & A ; Morgan, 1979 ) .
- Non-Empirical– Research through conceptual and analytical logical thinking
- Conceptual- models and statements that construction ideas and constructs. In IS, conceptual research is typically exemplifying in nature supplying guidelines, recommendation and warnings ( Alavi 1989 )
- Mathematical- modeling that is based on a set of restrictive premises about the universe, and is frequently based on minimising costs or maximising net incomes by altering certain parametric quantities. ( Whang, 1992 )
Decision and Findingss
Any concern alteration carries hazard. Even in seemingly fiddling outsourcing enterprises, hapless attending to serve degree understandings, supplier choice, appropriate contract continuance, and a host of other issues will take to jobs. Early research has shown that the primary ground to outsource was cost nevertheless today this focal point has shifted and more research is needed other countries to better understand the impact of outsourcing. These countries are highlighted below
- Outsourcing success– This is non presently clearly defined and outsourcing success has many significances even within a individual organisation.
- Vendor Perspective– One of cardinal issues is that accent seems to be given to the company outsourcing and how its demands are met. However the seller must besides derive something out of outsourcing for it to be a feasible proposition.
- VendorClient Relationship– More analysis and scrutiny of this country needs to done so that it is better understood.
- Individual Degree– the bulk or research seems to be focused at the organisation degree. More work is required at the single degree.
- Stakeholder Involvement– More work is need to understand the impact of stakeholder engagement in the determination devising procedure.
More late research has diversified to besides concentrate on emerging issues in outsourcing. These being Business procedure Transformation ( BPO ) , Away shoring to developing states such as India and China and Application Service Providers. This is in line with a general tendency that more and more research is being, and needs to transport out in the country of outsourcing to assist companies better understand its deductions and do more informed determinations on when to and when non to implement Outsourcing.
Alavi, M, Carlson P, Brooke G ( 1989 ) , “The ecology of MIS research: a 20 twelvemonth position review” ,Proceedings of the 10th international conference on Information Systems, p.363-375, December 1989, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Barney, J. B. ( 1991 ) . “ FirmResources and Sustained Competitive Advantage, ” Journal of Management, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 99 — 120.
Buehler S and Justus Haucap, Strategic Outsourcing Revisited, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Forthcoming,University of Zurich – Socioeconomic Institute ( SOI ) and University of Bochum – Faculty of Economicss
Burrell, G. and Morgan, G. ( 1979 ) .Sociological Paradigms and Organizational Analysis, London.
Chaudhury, A. , Nam, K. and Rao, H. R. ( 1995 ) . “Management of Information Systems Outsourcing: A Bidding Position“ Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 131 — 159.
Cheon, M. J. , Grover, V. and Teng, J. T. C. ( 1995 ) . “Theoretical Positions on the Outsourcing of Information Systems, ” Journal of Information Technology, Vol. 10, pp. 209 — 210.
Cronk, J. and Sharp, J. ( 1995 ) . “A Framework for Deciding What to Outsoure in Information Technology, ” Journal of Information Technology, Vol. 10, pp. 259 — 267.
Currie, W. L. ( 1996 ) . “Outsourcing in the Private and Public Sectors: An Unpredictable IT Strategy,“ European Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 226 — 236.
Cronk, J. and Sharp, J. ( 1995 ) . “A Framework for Deciding What to Outsoure in Information Technology“ Journal of Information Technology, Vol. 10, pp. 259 — 267.
De Looff, L. A. ( 1995 ) . “Information Systems Outsourcing Decision Making: A Framework, Organizational Theories and Case Studies“ Journal of Information Technology, Vol. 10, pp. 281 — 297.
Dibbern, J. and Heinzl, A. ( 2002 ) . “Outsourcing of Information Systems in Small and Medium Sized Enterprises: A Trial of Multi-Theoretical Model,“In Information Systems Outsourcing: Enduring Subjects, Emergent Patterns and Future Directions,R. A. Hirschheim, A. Heinzl and J. Dibbern ( Ed. ) , Berlin, Heidelberg, New York: Springer-Verlag, pp. 77 — 99.
Doh Jonathan P. ( 2005 ) , Offshore Outsourcing: Deductions for International Business and Strategic Management Theory and Practice, Journal of Management Studies, Vol. 42, No. 3, pp. 695-704, May 2005
Domberger, Simon ( 1998 ) , “The Contracting Organization: A Strategic Guide to Outsourcing”, Oxford University Press
Fuerst, Oren and Melumad, Nahum D ( 1999 ) , “See Outsourcing Even What You Do Best”. [ Online ] . [ Accessed 24/10/2005 ] . Available from WWW: hypertext transfer protocol: //ssrn.com/abstract=190388
Hirschheim R, Lacity, M ( 2000 ) , “The myths and worlds of information engineering insourcing” , Communications of the ACM, v.43 n.2, p.99-107, Feb. 2000
Jensen, M. C. and Meckling, W. H. ( 1976 ) . “Theory of the Firm: Managerial Behavior, Agency Costs and Ownership Structure” Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 3, pp. 305 — 360.
Kern, T. , Lacity, M. and Willcocks, L. ( 2001 ) .Application Service Provision, Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall.
Lacity MC, Hirschheim R ( 1995 ) , “Beyond the Information Systems Outsourcing Bandwagon: The Insourcing Response”, John Wiley & A ; Sons, Inc. , New York, NY
Orlikowski, W. J. and Baroudi, J. J. ( 1991 ) . “Analyzing Information Technology in Organizations: Research Approaches and Assumptions“ Information Systems Research, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 1 — 28.
Porter, M. E. ( 1985 ) . “CompetitiveAdvantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance”New York, London: Free Press ; Collier Macmillan.
Quinn, J. B. ( 1980 ) . “Schemes for Change: Logical Incrementalism”, Homewood, Ill: Richard D. Irwin.
Salvetti J.R, and Schell N.D 1995,Is Outsourcing Right For You, Bank Marketing
Seungjin Whang, “Contracting for package development, Management Science”, v.38 n.3, p.307-324, March 1992
Strategic Outsourcing. [ Online ] . [ Accessed 24/10/2005 ] . Available from World Wide Web: hypertext transfer protocol: //www.ashridge.org.uk/www/ASMC.nsf/web/Strategic+Outsourcing
Willcocks, L. P. , Fitzgerald, G. and Lacity, M. C. ( 1996 ) . “To Outsource IT Or Not? Recent Research on Economicss and Evaluation Practice, ” European Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 143 — 160.
Williamson, O. E. ( 1981 ) . “ TheEconomicss of Organization: The Transaction Cost Approach“ American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 87, No. 3, pp. 548 — 577.